Knowing what to expect on hardwood installation day can help make for a streamlined and smooth installation process.
Here's what to expect before your professional hardwood installation:
- Have a plan for subflooring. Who is removing it? Does it need to be removed? Discuss this with your crew ahead of time.
- Remove furniture and fragile items from the room(s) in question before your crew arrives.
- Complete any necessary painting work before the installation takes place.
- Ensure that children and pets will not be present on installation day.
- Your hardwood planks may need to be acclimated to the temperature of the room prior to installation. If this is the case, we will let you know.
- Complete a walkthrough with your crew before installation day and be sure and ask any questions that you might have.
Expect the following steps to take place on your hardwood installation day:
- The crew will begin by addressing subflooring and/or existing flooring. Subflooring may need to be prepared for installation, or if the existing flooring is present, that may need to be removed, and then the subflooring will need to be prepped.
- There are two basic methods of hardwood installation: glue-down and nail-down.
- For a glue-down hardwood installation, an adhesive will be spread on your subflooring, and the hardwood planks will be laid individually on the adhesive. The crew will place the planks with precision to ensure that no gaps exist.
- For a nail-down hardwood installation, nails will be used to secure the planks. The same care will be taken regarding gaps and overall placement.
- The final steps will involve a QA check and cleanup.
Once your hardwood floors are installed, you should expect the following:
- You will complete a walkthrough with your installation team.
- You should run a fan for 24 hours to help remove installation-related smells.
- You should allow the materials to settle before walking across your hardwoods. This is especially important if a glue-down installation method is used.
- Stay in touch with our team for maintenance tips, questions, or concerns regarding your hardwood.
- Enjoy your brand-new hardwood floors!